Your Complete Guide to Working Holidays in Japan

The Working Holiday Visa is available for certain countries, for travellers to Japan.

It was created to promote the mutual understandings between the respective countries, and encourage youth to exchange, being able to work to supplement their travel funds.

Although it is possible to find a few jobs without any knowledge of Japanese, it is highly recommended to at least study 12 weeks at a language school in Japan, incorporating this into your travel plans. You can learn Japanese, and do optional cultural activities. The language school can even assist in finding part-time work.

Bulletin board with part-time jobs from a language school in Tokyo.

Bulletin board with part-time jobs from a language school in Tokyo.


It is also possible to study at different locations in Japan while travelling, at different language schools we recommend.

Below are the countries that are eligible for Working Holiday in Japan, as of February 2019, along with links to the specific embassy pages:

General Requirements:

  • Have a nationality of one or more of the above

  • Be currently residing in the country of your nationality above

  • Intend to primarily go on holiday in Japan, for a specific period of time (arrange detailed travel plans, as part of the application)

  • Being between 18 and 30 years of age both inclusive at the time of application for the visa.

  • Not being accompanied by dependents or children.

  • Possessing a valid passport of his or her country/region and a return travel ticket or sufficient funds with which to purchase such a ticket.

  • Possessing reasonable funds for the maintenance of his/her stay during the initial period of stay in Japan.

  • Being in good health.

  • Never having been issued a Japanese working holiday visa in the past.

You are allowed to engage in employment as an incidental activity of your holidays, for the purpose of supplementing your travel funds. This means your main purpose shouldn't be to come and work.


Further rules on the Working Holiday Visa:

You are strictly prohibited from working at bars, cabarets, nightclubs, gambling establishments and other places affecting public morals in Japan. i.e. Not even handing out flyers for nightclubs, no working as a dishwasher at one of these places. If you work at such a place, you are deemed to violate the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act and will face deportation except where you are deemed to be a victim of human trafficking.

Within 14 days of arriving in Japan, you must notify your place of residence. For further details, please see:

Please note that we cannot help in applying for this visa; please follow the above links and contact your local Japanese embassy for applying. We can help you apply to a school, please inquire.