Student Visa Requirements (T2)

Bookmark this page to save for later!

This page is meant for people with citizenship of countries that are eligible for Working Holiday Visas in Japan, listed here.


Here are the average costs for studying in Japan, so you can plan for your trip. Scholarships/awards are available after 1 year study, for excellent students.

 Depending on the duration, there are certain visa rules:

-> Option 1) For staying in Japan up to 90 days, (Click to open)

You will not need a visa.

However, you cannot work part-time/full-time in Japan.

You should begin applying to the language course more than 2 months before your desired course start date, to secure a spot. The deadline to apply and pay is 1 month before, for most schools.

-> Option 2) For staying over 3 months, or to be able to work part-time:

Please know that if you meet the requirements, you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa.

There is a lower bank statement required than a student visa (see below).

The Working Holiday Visa is intended for travelling around Japan. This visa is recommended if wanting to change locations during your stay in Japan. You can stay in Japan up to 1 year on this visa. It is also possible to work part-time to supplement travel funds. The language school must be paid upfront, so it is recommended to save up before coming. The language school can even assist in finding a part-time job.

For the visa, please apply to the embassy of your country found in the article below, as we cannot help in applying for the working holiday visa.


I will assist in applying to the language school.


Option 3) If you do not apply for a Working Holiday Visa above; to study and work part-time:

You will need a student visa. I (Sayaka) will guide in applying, and the school will go to the embassy for you.

The minimum duration for a student visa is 6 months, up to 2 years at language school. It is possible to study longer after you get into vocational college or university in Japan.

You will be allowed to work part-time up to 28 hours per week on a student visa. The language school can help in finding part-time work. This will help in offsetting living expenses.

Funds for tuition and accommodation must be available before studying in Japan.

Japanese immigration requires the following for a student visa:

  • Proof of bank balance of your financial supporter.

    • The financial supporter must preferably be a direct member of your family, such as your spouse, parent or sibling.

    • Approximately 1,500,000 JPY (or equivalent in your currency at the time), shown in a bank statement.

    • This is so that the school and immigration know that you have the financial ability to pay for tuition, food, transport and accommodation for a year.

    • If you wish to sponsor yourself, you must show approximately 1,900,000 JPY.

    • It is possible to have more than 1 financial supporter; to combine the money to reach the required amount. They should be direct members of your family.

  • Financial supporter's proof of employment - can be a letter from the employer; please ask for an example.

    • If owner of a business, a copy of the business registration certificate.

  • Financial supporter's proof of annual income, e.g. tax certificate (Unnecessary if annual income is stated in the proof of employment).

Example of high quality photo with plain background.

Example of high quality photo with plain background.

  • High quality photo of yourself.

    • Should be different from your passport photo, recently taken within 3 months. Please show your full face (eyes and ears visible) with a plain background (jpg. or png. format, in colour).

  • Graduation certificate from the institution where you completed your highest level of education.

  • Copy of photo and signature page of passport.

    • If you have been to Japan before, you need to scan and submit all pages with past entry and departure stamps to Japan.

  • Applicant and financial supporter's proof of relationship, or applicant's birth certificate.

-> Student visa intakes

For student visas, you should begin completing the form that will be provided at least 7 months before wanting to start your course. The deadline is 5 months before the start date.

There are 4 intakes for student visas; January, April, July and October each year.

Some courses only have intakes in April or October.

-> About language schools in Japan

The language school will help with academic and career advice, help reach the required Japanese level, pass entrance exams, guide in the process of applying and help you adapt to life in Japan.

By learning long-term, you can reach the recommended level to get into Japanese universities or vocational colleges (which offer 100% graduate employment rates), start a business or obtain employment in international companies around the world.

-> Regarding Accommodation:

The school can provide accommodation for you, such as dormitories, shared apartments, or host families. I can also help looking for other accommodation, such as private apartments. Further information will be given once you decide on a course, since it depends on the location.

Student Visa (Option 3) deadlines: 

January course start April course start July course start October course start
First intake (can begin application) July 1st, previous year August 1st, previous year December 1st, previous year March 1st, same year
Final deadline Beginning of September, previous year October 30th, previous year 15th February, same year 10th May, same year

To begin applying, please send an inquiry, or reply to the email you received back, with which Option (1, 2 or 3 above) that you meet the requirements to & wish to continue with. Then the next steps will be sent to you!