How to Move to Japan


Updated October 4, 2018


Here is your first step.

How to Move to Japan


If you are not Japanese and want to live in Japan; then you will need a valid visa to live here.

The well known one is a work visa; this usually requires a 4 year degree (exceptions are for very special cases). Or, graduation from a vocational college in Japan.

A company will need to decide to sponsor you in order to get a work visa. This means that you will need to have special skills that no other Japanese person can do, in order to hire you. Teaching English is a popular option.

Another visa is related to having family in Japan; such as a spouse visa (only do this if you actually love someone, marrying for a visa is not recommended), dependent visas (if you have a Japanese parent), etc.

Probably the easiest and the best way to come to Japan is on a student visa. This way, you are not working and stressed all the time, but you get to properly study the language, get to know the culture, make a good network of friends and more. You will also be able expand your job opportunities to much more than teaching English (although there is nothing wrong with learning the language to live here while teaching).

Accommodation, airport pickup, finding part-time jobs, is all arranged for you by the language school, so you do not have to do it all on your own.

If you already have a degree, certain language schools (I can help point you to the right one) will help match you to an employer to get a job.

If furthering studies after language school, the vocational school (where you can learn technical skills towards a profession) can help match you to an employer; and most have 100% graduate employment rates!

When moving to a new country, it can feel lonely and scary. By going to study the language, you will also get the bonus of the support system of the staff, friends you make and teachers. We are happy to answer any of your questions and help you out.

So you are thinking; this all seems too good to be true; what's the catch?
Of course, Japan doesn't just let anyone in; there are a few requirements that you need to cover. Please see more information and how to apply for student visas, here.

Student visas are great for people wanting to study towards learning the language and passing the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) to get jobs, studying towards getting into university and vocational college in Japan.

If you wish to spend your next break learning the language and the culture for just a short period of time, then the Practical Japanese Course is highly recommended to get you familiar with everything first. The Study and Culture Courses are a great and fun first step in discovering what living in Japan is really like, if you want to come for a few weeks at first.

If you are serious about moving to Japan and living here, great courses include Academic Japanese+Job-finding class in Japan, or other intensive courses here.


Sasuga Pty Ltd.Comment