Updated October 4, 2018

See Below for Visas to Live and Study in Japan.

Visa Exemption | Working Holiday | Student Visa | Tourist Visa

If you have Japanese family members, you may be eligible for other visas. Please contact your local Japanese embassy.


If your country of citizenship is any of the following:

(Tip: Use Ctrl+F or command+F on your keyboard to search)


Bahamas, Hungary, Barbados([Note7]), Iceland, Chile, Ireland ([Note8]), Costa Rica, Italy, Dominican Republic, Latvia, El Salvador, Liechtenstein([Note8]), Guatemala, Lithuania, Honduras, Luxembourg, Mexico([Note8]), Malta, Surinam, Monaco, Uruguay, Mauritius, Sweden, Tunisia, Hong Kong([Note4]), Czech Republic, Macao([Note5]), Denmark, Taiwan([Note6]), Estonia, Finland, Canada, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, United States, France, Germany([Note8]), Argentina, Greece, Turkey([Note7]), Serbia, United Arab Emirates([Note9]), Slovakia, Slovenia, Lesotho([Note7]), Spain, Switzerland([Note8]), United Kingdom([Note8]), Brunei (15 days), Andorra, Indonesia ([Note1], Austria([Note8]), Malaysia ([Note2]), Belgium, Republic of Korea, Bulgaria, Singapore, Croatia, Thailand ([Note3])(15 days), Cyprus, Netherlands, Norway, Australia, Poland, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Israel, San Marino


You are able to get a visa exemption, meaning:

  • You can automatically stay in Japan for usually up to 90 days, with your passport (please check any notes next to your country for details).

  • You cannot work part-time while staying in Japan on a visa exemption.

  • Please ensure you always have your passport with you while in Japan (it is used as ID).

If your country of citizenship is any of the following:

(Tip: Use Ctrl+F or command + F on your keyboard to search)


Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Republic of Korea, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Spain or Argentina. 

You may be able to get a Working Holiday Visa, meaning:

  • You can stay in Japan for up to a year on this visa. (Some must extend after 6 months).

  • You can work however long and study in different schools throughout Japan.

  • This visa is NOT for people wanting to mainly work or mainly study.

  • You can enjoy your life in Japan, while studying Japanese and working to cover living expenses.

If your country is not listed on any of the above; then you will need to apply for a tourist visa for less than 3 months, and a student visa for more than 6 months.

Also read here the detailed post about Cost of Living in Japan and share your opinion in the comment section of the post.

  • Please note that you cannot work while on a tourist visa.

Please send an inquiry to get free personalised guidance.

Sasuga Pty Ltd.Comment